Giving gifts during the holidays is a longstanding tradition, but so is helping out the less fortunate. There are plenty of great causes you can donate your time or money to, including those who lost their homes due to the devastating hurricane season. Check out these ways to give back this holiday season.
- Donate to a Food Bank – Some people think that donating a few expired cans of food qualifies as being charitable. Why not really make a difference and organized a canned food drive in your community? Your local grocery store likely has canned foods on sale during this time of the year and just a few dollars can make a difference to a family in need.
- Volunteer at a Shelter – Time is just as valuable as money when it comes to giving back. Many shelters need volunteers to help prepare and serve meals. You’ll be able to interact with the people needing your help rather than donating to a charity and not knowing where it goes.
- Donate Toys – The organization Toys for Tots has been around for a long time, and they aren’t the only one who helps deliver new toys to children of families who can’t afford them. Get your children involved in choosing toys they would like and donating them to kids in need.
- Donate Clothing – If you have clothes that gently used you can donate them to the Goodwill or other similar organizations. There are even drop-off bins to make the process easier. Coats are practical items, especially during the winter.
- Remember Our Military – One way to help those that are helping our country is to send holiday cards to active-duty military members as well as veterans. Look for a chapter of the American Red Cross that participates in a program called Holidays for Heroes. A Million Thanks is another nonprofit organization that supports our military.
Storm Smart cares about our local Fort Myers community. Give us a call at 239-274-2700 to order our storm protection products.